Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving and Columbus Day

When I was little in elementary school and they told us we had no school because of thanksgiving.  The main thing that went through my mind was that I get a day off!! But the teacher told us that thanksgiving is a "time of thanks"  we then had a lesson about pilgrims and Indians and I think that is exactly what should be done.  We did arts and crafts including turkeys and pilgrims and Indians.
Also, I remember Columbus Day, we had to sing, and it was a song about Christopher Columbus and how he "sailed the ocean blue".  I think the elementary schools do a good job trying to instill in the children that this isn't just a day off, it is a day off for a very good reason.  They also teach you that it is a time of family.  In the Elementary School Issues they state that it is the job of the educator to help the students understand the importance of the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment